In the academic year 2013-14 the role of the Art & Design co-ordinator has been to promote the subject throughout the school. This has involved teaching art & design from Year 2 to Year 6, planning projects in collaboration with class teachers. Areas of focus have been selected from:-
- The Creative Curricumlum e.g. The Victorians (Yr6)
- Science Topics e.g. Healthy Eating
- Discrete studies - Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers'
depending on the needs/ arrangements of the year group.
Each year group has studied several famous artists, their work and their techniques.
A selection of the studies are as follows:-
Year 2 : Giuseppe Arcimboldo - Healthy Eating
Paul Klée - Castles
Cézanne - still life with plants and flowers
Year 3: Henri Rousseau - The Rainforest
Raoul Dufy - Seascapes
Year 4: Michaelangelo - Romans
Farid Belkahia -African Art
Van Gogh/Monet - Still Life
Year 5: Hans Holbein/ Picasso
David Hockney - Garden Design
Year 6 William Morris - Victorian Home
Henri Matisse - Europe
Mark Rothko - Contrasting
Pupils are assessed every half term and the key areas of:-
- Exploring/developing ideas
- Investigating and Making Art
- Evaluating/developing work
are looked at. Details are recorded and an individual assessment profile is kept for each pupil.
Art & Design events include:-
- Regular whole school exhibition
- Visits from Mr.Lofthouse, a local professional artist.
- Visit to Atkinson Art Gallery, Southport
- a school-based workshop on L.S.Lowry by an artist from the Lowry Centre, Salford Quays.